Electrical items

Because children are constantly exploring, mouthing, and biting objects in the world around them, caregivers need to take special precautions to protect them from the dangers of electricity.

To reduce the risks of electrocution and fire, follow these guidelines:

  • Use safety covers over outlets.
  • Use shock protection devices.
  • Be sure to keep electrical appliances far away from water, particularly in the bathroom.
  • Keep electrical cords out of the reach of children who are mouthing objects. They may chew or bite into them.
  • Inspect all electrical fixtures and appliances, wiring, and outlets to be sure they do not pose a fire or shock hazard.

Download the indoor safety poster