Insect and rodent control
Insects and rodents spread germs and are generally unhealthy.
To prevent infestations:
- Provide screens for exterior windows and doors, and keep screens closed at all times.
- Close all cracks, holes, and other openings to the outside to prevent rodents and insects from entering.
- Have a pest control program.
- For flying insects in the food preparation areas, use only approved pyrethrin-based insecticides or a flyswatter.
- Do not allow insecticides to come in contact with raw or cooked food, utensils, or equipment used in food preparation and serving or with any other food contact surface.
- Do not use insect strips that hang from the ceiling.
- All extermination using chemicals and insecticides should be provided only by a certified pest control operator. Watch where the chemicals or insecticides are applied to be certain that food preparation surfaces and child contact areas are not contaminated.
- Store pesticides only in their original containers away from child activity and food preparation and storage areas.
- Lock all storage areas.
- Post instructions on the safe and proper use of these chemicals in a highly visible location.