Place a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. In general, follow these guidelines:
Place it away from the stove and near an exit.
- Mount it:
- On the wall in full view
- If you keep it inside a cabinet, be sure to put up a sign “Fire Extinguisher Inside”
- Know how to use the fire extinguisher.
- Check it yearly to make sure it is fully charged.
If a fire occurs:
- Evacuate the children first.
- Before you decide to return and fight the fire, make sure someone is supervising the children and someone else is contacting the fire department.
- Never try to fight a large fire. Home fire extinguishers are designed only for small fires.
- Never throw water on a grease or electrical fire.