In the event of a fire, smoke detectors can save lives. Install smoke detectors as follows:
- Install at least one smoke detector on each level of your home.
- Mount the detectors on the ceiling.
- The best locations are:
- outside bedrooms
- at the foot of stairs
- at the top of basements stairs
- Because smoke could get blown away from them, detectors should not be placed near:
- heating or air conditioning vents
- Don’t put smoke detectors in kitchens. Cooking smoke can set them off.
Maintenance and testing:
- Use only smoke detectors that have test buttons.
- Test detectors monthly.
- Replace the batteries of battery operated detectors at least once a year. Pick a birthday or an anniversary date as a reminder. These detectors will usually make an irregular beeping sound when the batteries are getting low.