Dirty toys and surfaces
Problem: Spread of germs and sickness
Follow a regular schedule of cleaning and sanitizing dirty or contaminated surfaces including high-chair trays, tabletops, diaper changing surfaces, and potty chairs.
Three steps to sanitizing dirty toys and surfaces:
- Clean dirty toys and surfaces with detergent and water
- Spray them with a household bleach solution made up of 16-20 ml of bleach to 1 liter of water (1 tablespoon bleach per quart of water), made fresh daily – see below.
- Allow them to air dry, or be sure the bleach is in contact with all surfaces for at least 2 minutes before you dry the surfaces.
- Clean hard toys that children have mouthed in the dishwasher or by the same method described above for dirty toys and surfaces.
- If you have cloth toys be sure that they are machine washable.
Making your own bleach solution:
- Add 16-20 milliliters of bleach to 1 liter of water (1 tablespoon bleach per quart of water).
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and dispense it by spraying it on surfaces and objects.
- Make a fresh batch of bleach solution each day, since the bleach solution is the minimum acceptable concentration to do the job and evaporation of the bleach across the course of a day makes the solution too dilute on the next day.
- Store it out of children’s reach.