Drawers and cabinets
Problem: Poisoning, cuts, choking, and suffocation from dangerous items such as:
- cleaning supplies
- sharp-pointed or sharp-edged items
- plastic bags
- pressurized spray cans
- medical supplies
- prescription or over the counter drugs
- Move all dangerous items to a cabinet or closet 1.2 meters (4 feet) above the floor, out of children’s reach and out of their sight.
- Install cabinet and drawer latches every place where dangerous items are stored.
- Always carefully supervise children. Children learn to open latches when they are about 3 or 4 year old, some even younger.
- If you have firearms, keep them locked away separately from ammunition, which should also be locked away.