Problem: Drowning, diseases passed through water
Children can drown in less than an inch of water. Take these precautions to keep children safe:
- Keep the bathroom door shut.
- Never leave children unsupervised with water, even to answer the phone.
- Be careful to always empty pails of standing water – even when you stop cleaning to prepare a meal or to answer the phone.
- Dump out standing water that collects outside after rain in barrels and wading pools.
- At picnics, drain water from the ice chest as the ice melts.
- Check for standing water in pails used for cleaning, bathtubs, and other places where children might have access to water.