Problem: Burns, fires, toxic fumes, falls
Use only a safe stove, properly installed and maintained.
Place the stove:
- On a fireproof platform
- At least 1 meter (3 feet) from walls or furniture
- Out of the child care area
- If the stove is near where children play, place a barricade between the stove and the play area.
- Make sure your stove is airtight and has no cracks or gaps in the seams.
- Have the fire department check to see that it has been hooked up correctly.
- Have your chimney cleaned at least once a year to prevent creosote buildup.
- Burn only seasoned wood.
- Never burn painted or pressure-treated wood.