How to Use this List
- Go through each item on the list.
- Check off the things you already do.
- Don’t worry if you can’t check off everything!
- Use the items you DO NOT check off to create an action plan for improvement.
Furniture and Space
Relaxation and Comfort
- ___ Furniture is upholstered and soft.
- ___ Soft cushions are available.
- ___ Floors in play areas are covered with soft rugs.
- ___ A child-sized rocker or other child-sized furniture is available.
- ___ Special soft cozy areas are regularly available for reading and relaxation.
- ___ Cozy area provides a reading corner with cushions.
- ___ Cozy area provides a doll house and many soft toys.
- ___ Materials with a similar use are placed together.
- ___ Individual stations are set up for specific activities, such as painting, reading, etc.
- ___ Traffic patterns don’t interfere with activities.
- ___ Required resources such as water or shelving are available in the stations.
- ___ Quiet and noisy stations are separated.
- ___ Appropriate play space is provided in each station.
- ___ Stations are easy to supervise visually.
- ___ Stations provide a variety of learning experiences.
- ___ Materials in stations are labeled and organized so that children can use them on their own.
- ___ Additional supplies are available to add to or change the stations.
- ___ Caregivers are focused on children.
- ___ Attention is paid to safety, cleanliness, and proper use of materials.
- ___ Caregivers interact with children and enhance play with teaching.
- ___ Children are encouraged to explore independently.
- ___ Supervision balances the children’s need for independence with adult-guided learning activities.
- ___ Toilets are accessible.
- ___ Hot water is available.
- ___ Facilities are clean.
- ___ Adults wash their hands after changing children’s diapers.
- ___ Water is available in the diapering area.
- ___ Toilets are child-sized (potty chairs for toddlers also work).
- ___ Sinks are low enough for children to easily use.
- ___ Caregivers use diapering as a time to warmly interact with children.
- ___ Naps are scheduled daily.
- ___ Naps are supervised.
- ___ Napping area is quiet, private, and well-ventilated.
- ___ Cuddly toys are available to help children relax.
- ___ Soft, soothing music plays in the background during naps
- ___ Caregivers provide backrubs to children.
- ___ Early risers and non-nappers are given separate activities.
- ___ Hands are washed before meals and after using the toilet.
- ___ Teeth are brushed after meals.
- ___ Hair combing is regularly scheduled.
- ___ Grooming is part of an educational program encouraging good habits.
- ___ Children are encouraged to groom independently with supervision.
Interactions between Adults and Children
- ___ Caregivers respond quickly when problems happen.
- ___ Caregivers regularly talk to and interact with children.
- ___ The atmosphere is calm but busy.
- ___ Children seem happy most of the time.
- ___ Staff and children seem relaxed.
- ___ Voices are cheerful and children smile often.
- ___ Caregivers show warmth, such as gentle holding and hugging, in physical contact.
- ___ Children and adults respect one another.
- ___ Caregivers help children before problems occur.
- ___ Caregivers help children settle conflicts.
- ___ Caregivers have a lesson plan for developing social skills.
- ___ There is enough time for meals, naps, grooming, and changing diapers.
- ___ Several activity periods, some indoors and some outdoors, are planned each day.
- ___ The schedule is flexible enough to allow for children to choose some activities on their own.
- ___ Materials for the next activity are ready before the current activity ends.
- ___ There are alternative activities for children who aren’t able to take part in the main activity.