Many art supplies can be dangerous if eaten or used incorrectly. While doing art projects, watch that children don’t eat, mouth, or lick potentially dangerous materials, such as:
- Fruit-scented markers
- Homemade dough clay, which contains a large amount of salt
- Chalk sticks
- Do not allow children to eat or drink while using art materials.
- Make sure children wash their hands after using art and craft materials.
- Keep art materials in their original containers so you don’t lose the valuable safety information on the original package.
How to Choose Art Supplies
- READ the labels on art materials and select products that are appropriate for the ages of the children who will use them.
- AVOID powdered clay, which contains silica that is easily inhaled and harmful to the lungs.
- USE wet clay instead, making sure it has not particles that could be inhaled by a child.
- USE poster paints and water-based products.
- AVOID glazes, paints, or finishes that contain lead.
- USE water-based paints, glues, etc.
- AVOID paints that require solvents, such as turpentine, to clean brushes, and materials with fumes.
- USE natural dyes such as vegetables or onion skins.
- AVOID cold-water or commercial dyes that contain chemical additives.
- USE water-based markers.
- AVOID permanent markers that may contain toxic solvents.
- USE newspaper (printed with black ink only) and library paste or liquid starch for papier-mache.
- AVOID instant papier-mache that may contain lead or asbestos, and DO NOT use color-print newspaper or magazines with water.
- USE water-based white glue or library paste.
- AVOID epoxy, instant glues, or other solvent-based glues.
- USE water-based materials/pump sprays.
- AVOID aerosol sprays.
- USE liquid tempera paint or any nontoxic paint.
- AVOID powdered tempera paints.