Poisoning is one of the leading causes of injury and death for children between the ages of one and three.  If a child ingests something you believe may be poisonous, immediately call a doctor or poison control center.

Keep children safe by taking these six precautions:

  • Store poisons above children’s reach, out of sight, and in latched cabinets.
  • Reduce the number of cleaning products you use and substitute non-toxic products for poisonous ones.
  • Check all children’s art supplies and make sure they are non toxic.
  • Store all poisons in their original containers.
  • Remove all poisons that are not in their original containers.
  • Separate out all poisons including medicines and pet supplies and keep them away from food.

Poisonous things include:

  • Cleaners
  • Medicines
  • Pest control products
  • Chemicals used for any purpose
  • Some pet supplies
  • Some plants