Poisoning is one of the leading causes of injury and death for children between the ages of one and three. If a child ingests something you believe may be poisonous, immediately call a doctor or poison control center.
Keep children safe by taking these six precautions:
- Store poisons above children’s reach, out of sight, and in latched cabinets.
- Reduce the number of cleaning products you use and substitute non-toxic products for poisonous ones.
- Check all children’s art supplies and make sure they are non toxic.
- Store all poisons in their original containers.
- Remove all poisons that are not in their original containers.
- Separate out all poisons including medicines and pet supplies and keep them away from food.
Poisonous things include:
- Pest control products
- Chemicals used for any purpose
- Some pet supplies
- Some plants